The Butgenbach dam was built between 1929 and 1932.
The main function of the dam is to regulate the course of the river the Warche.
Engie – Electrabel is the exploiter of the dam and the lake.
Between 1929 and 1932, 28.000 m³ of concrete were moved to build the dam at the lake of Bütgenbach.
According to the plans of the engineer Alphonso Boldo, the 23m high and 140m long structure was built under the direction of the Italian company OMODEO.
Several roads were diverted: the main access road from Bütgenbach to Berg and the connection between the train station and Berg were replaced by a new road that led to the dam’s bridge crossing.
At some days, up to 200 workers were busy with the construction work. In addition to the Italians, many locals also found additional income here.